It is built beside the lotus pool with a
historical pavilion that changed the history
of Chittor. Ala-ud-din saw the reflection
of Queen Padmini from here and so mesmerized
was he, that the quest of possessing her
led to a furious battle which saw the last
of Maharana Ratan Singh
(husband of Maharani Padmini) and the epitome
of beauty-Cleopatra of Rajasthan, became
an eternal legend in the history of chittor
and also of the Mewar state. The feel still
lingers on. A thing of beauty is a joy for
ever- and now they don't say this for nothing.
Chittourgarh is the epitome of Rajput pride,
romance and spirit. It reverberates with
history of heroism and sacrifice, which
is evident as it echoes with the tales sung
by the Bards of Rajasthan.
The main reason for visiting Chittourgarh
is its massive hilltop fort, which is a
depiction of Rajput culture and values.
The fort stands on a 240-hectares site on
an 180m high hill that rises rapidly from
the plains below.
Thrice a stronger enemy sacked Chittourgarh.
The first sack occurred in 1303 when a Pathan
King Ala-ud-din Khilji overwhelmed by the
beauty of Queen Padmini besieged the fort
in order to capture the regal beauty.
In 1535 Bahadur Shah the Sultan of Gujarat
besieged the fort causing immense carnage
and it is said that 32000 men donned the
saffron robes of martyrdom and rode out
to face a certain death, and the women folkes
committed Jauhar (an act of self immolations
by plunging in a large fire) led by Rani
In 1568 Mughal Emperor Akbar razed the fort
to the rubble and once again the history
repeated itself. In 1616 Mughal emperor
Jehangir restored the fort to the Rajput
but it was not resettled.
Today a new township sprawls below the hill
on the west side. Chittourgarh is connected
by both bus and rail. The bus stand and
the railway are located in the new township.